I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, November 4, 2013

A cake is never complete, until it has the frosting put on at the last..........

and that is how I feel about the item I have now found to complete the vintage shop I hope to open up in the following year.............
This old screen door will be the last thing I add to the shop...............after I have moved every thing in and out. I have been in search of an old screen door that looked as if it might have come off of an old farm house..........I have been searching for a long time.
This weekend, I found just the right  one! The screen is still in perfect condition and it has the perfect rusted patina to it.

It has a wonderful wood panel at the bottom, and I love the weathered paint. I am planning on keeping the paint as is, and then painting some kind of floral picture onto it.

What really caught my heart was this small wooden panel and small screen panel in the middle.

I love the bent handle. I plan to clean the door up, maybe do a little paint touch up here and there, but I really want to keep that vintage worn look to it.
What do you think??



I have an incredible amount of vintage dishware, ready to sell. This set of dishes, I found in a shop, just like this.........stashed half hazardly in a box.

I got them home, delighted to find no breaks or chips! I don't even think these were ever  used. These are from the Paden City Pottery Company , Old Rose Design from the 1950's.  A while back it would have been hard for me to decide to sell these, however, I am getting really excited about my shop and want to have lots of things like this to sell.
 
I also have a lot of depression glassware...........I love this stuff..........
don't you?
 
I have also accumulated a good amount of vintage linens...........

many with beautiful cut work

and in un- used condition.

Of course, I will be selling my own hand embroidery.................

and I am designing a lot of it  in vintage style to sell as accessories to the dishware.


I am also going to have my cement creations and garden things to sell outside of the shop.
Visit my country blog to see more of my garden work.
just click onto this link
 


I found a wonderful vintage table like the one in the photo above............
mine is yellow...........I forgot to take a good photo..........an now it is stored away until I can get back to it.  It will be in the center of my shop with one of my hand embroidered tablecloths and the rose dishes on top .
So once the vintage door is attached,..........."my frosting" for the shop............
hopefully, it will be opening back and forth with visitors.


Also, this week, I have posted a wonderful potato side dish recipe on my cooking blog.
These are Cheese and Herb Potato Fans.
I made them to go with grilled steak one night.
They are so delicious!
If you would like the recipe, just click onto this link
So now, tell me..............
have you ever owned a shop or perhaps own one now?
Or have you ever dreamed of owning a shop?
What kind of shop is it?
Was it or is it a good experience??
I would love to hear!
 
 



11 comments:

Betty Lou said...

The shop is coming along nicely, it will be a teat to take a virtual tour when you open.

Patty H. said...

I love the door! keeping it as original a it is now is a good idea. Too bad I live so far away, I would love to visit your shop when you open it.

Anonymous said...

Darling door! and so good to see you going into business..wishing you all good things in the future.

Cindy said...

I have always wanted to have some kind of shop, but my husband says it will take too much time (away from him!) I'm sure you will have fun with your shop and I hope you do well with it. Love that door!

Anonymous said...

I do so wish you the best with this vintage shop. We hope to take a cross country trip this next summer...maybe we can stop in and see the shop. I am always up for vintage linens.
blessings, jil

lil red hen said...

Oh how exciting for you! I'd love to be one of the first through your door and go straight to the dishes and vintage linens.

I used to wish I could have a store, to sell quilts, with a room for women to gather to quilt.

Best of luck and look forward to a tour.

Sandra said...

The door really is frosting on the cake! Love your idea of keeping it in its current condition. It must be fun collecting and gathering all the things that will be in your shop. I am excited for you! Best Wishes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lots of good loot going in that shop!!

Unknown said...

Oh Wow Kathleen,
Your shop is really coming along. The door will be a perfect touch.

KathyB. said...

Boy I wish I lived closer to your shop, you know I'd be a regular !Please post lots of pictures for me.

GardenOfDaisies said...

All the things for your shop are sooo pretty. If I'm ever in Texas, I will want to come and visit! The potatoes look delicious, too!