I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Once again I found myself wandering along the dark and dusty aisles

of a junk store that I like to visit from time to time
 
not looking for anything in particular, but always looking  for a hint of fabric and floss.
This time I found a wonderful pile of beautifully embroidered pieces, some slightly vintage kitchen dishcloths and napkins,..............

and this one wonderful, long runner...........with Zinnias stamped on it!
The design has been inked over with different colored paint pens..........
but I can easily stitch over that with various embroidery stitches.

Although the piece is vintage, it has never been washed............the print of the manufacturer is still on the edge...........and I just love the home crocheted edging ........
don't you?

I t is such a wonderful and cheery design..............with Zinnias being my favorite flower............
I think I will be stitching on this during the holiday season!
It's funny, I should be stitching snowmen, snowflakes, and poinsettias time of year, but always find myself wanting to embroider spring time flowers instead................
in July, I like to stitch Christmas designs.............
How about you?
Are you stitching someones name on a stocking?...........
 embroidering some holly and berries perhaps?..............
or is a bouquet of roses or daisies holding your needle's attention?
I would love to hear!


13 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Oh what pretty designs you found while junkin. Love the long runner. I remember my mother having the paint pens before I was born and I still have gorgeous pieces she designed. I love the crocheted edge too. My grandmother did lots of this and it just completes the treasure I think.
I am not stitching at the moment, but have lots of works in the process. I hope to get busy this winter and finish a few.

Love your background design. I had this fabric in my guestroom for awhile and love it.

Hugs, Celestina Marie

Bev C said...

Hello Kathleen,

A found a treasure this morning in Good Sammy's. A brand new never used doiley. All ready to embroider and crochet around the edge.

Happy collecting.
Bev.xoxo

A Colorful World said...

Fantastic finds, Kathleen! Oh, I meant to tell you that the snow picture of that wonderful brass container is awesome! And A Christmas Story is one of our favorite Christmas pics! :-)

Preeti said...

Its always a refreshing feel when we look at our stock of arty things be it even if we have visited many times ! Only a needlework enthusiast can understand that feeling :)
I don't adhere to any specific festival season and work on projects irrespective of it. But it is good to see what others are creating :)

Nicola said...

You must have a good eye to spot your lovely finds.

Hindustanka said...

this embroidery design look so sweet. how old might it be? you found a piece of beauty :)
would like to see your ready embroidery soon. i don't do it, but would love to start, really, seeing all the beautiful things you can make!
Anna

Angela said...

Made my first grandbaby a First Christmas ornie yesterday!LOVE zinnia as well- remind my of my great grandmother- Big Mama- haha. Hugs, Angela

Cindy said...

For some reason I have been doing small cross stitch projects lately. And I also have a hankering for embroidering flowers. I think a lot of crafters tend to work a season ahead:)
Have a great weekend!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Looks like you found some goodies! Can't wait to see how you turn those into something really special!

lil red hen said...

Oh how I'd like to seach through those dark and dusty aisles with you! This runner will take on a whole new look when you finish it.

I've brought out a crewel embroidery piece with hopes of finishing it this winter.

Zova couture said...

beautiful design kathelene!I am sure ur embroidery work will be as pretty as u..merry christmas to u and ur family..

Gina E. said...

It pays off to return to the same thrift shops on a regular basis; you never know what will turn up! I would love to see the rest of your goodies - are you going to post some photos of them?

janice15 said...

I used to have a favorite, in fact a few but they have since gone very sadly. I miss them all. I have collected so much linens with crochet embroidery but I don't wish to part with any one of them...Lovely wonderful things you found. Happy Holidays with love Janice