I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This week I am embroidering on a vintage

tablecloth, that I found, years ago, in a junk store, and that I have previously, over the past year , posted about.
It was tossed over the railing of an old baby crib. It had only a few flowers, here and there, stitched, in a very heavy thread, and what looked to be in a very hurried fashion. The photo above is how I have embroidered it and how it will look when I am finished with it all.

I purchased it for pennies, took it home, and removed the previous stitching.

I then decided on the colors and started stitching away.

As time has gone on, many things have taken me away from stitching on it. Growing children leaving the nest, family occasions, my attempts at getting a farm to grow, and the ups and downs on the roller coaster of life.
Haven't we all been on that ride now and then? {: 

But this week,

with the heat keeping me inside, I decided to give it my attention again.

There are a few stains that will need to be removed after the stitching is finished,

and I can't wait to get to that last flower
and to that last stitch !

 I already have a place where it will be looked at and enjoyed every day. My dining room table is needing such a tablecloth.
How about you? Has life swept you away from your needle and thimble?
What project would you love to finish and what will you do with it afterward?
 I would love to hear!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't stitch any longer but I sure do love seeing your beautiful work. This tablecloth is so very pretty and I love the colors you have chosen. Can't wait for you to complete it!

Shoumi said...

Lovely ... Elegant ...
Iam your new follower, just visit my blog and say a Hai...

Love
Shoumi Aslam
http://shoumiaslam.blogspot.com/

Zova couture said...

very pretty..I sure everyone wud love to own like this one!!!
http://zovascreations.blogspot.com

staci said...

So Pretty!

lil red hen said...

Your work is so very pretty. I love the way you fill in the flowers: not just an empty lazy daisy stitch, but filled in. Could you tell us how you do that?

I have a very old scarf, stained pretty badly; should I embroider it fist, then try to remove the stains? I suppose that's a silly question; otherwise the stamped design would be removed. :)

Yes, I have a project I'll be glad to finish: embroidered blocks to go in a baby quilt.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I really don't like doing time consuming projects anymore. I used to do really big detailed cross-stitchings. I have projects from the 80's that haven't been finished and may never get done. :/ Now I look for quick, simple projects. Somewhere stuffed away in a trunk I have pillowcases to be embroidered -- given to me by my ex-husband's grandmother in the late 80's. I love the look of your embroidery and can imagine that it will be quite an accomplishment when you are done. Best wishes, Tammy

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

As always, thank you all for commenting here. Lil Red Hen, I will be emailing you with information on the stitches I use for my embroidery and on the way to treat stains on older linens. I plan to post about this next week for anyone else who is interested. Thanks and blessings,Kathleen

Karen said...

Kathleen, that's a lovely tablecloth and your stitching is beautiful!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Wow! This sure is fantastic. Your are doing such a beautiful job on the tablecloth. Can't wait until you finish it.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

What a great accomplishment this will be for you!!!! I know about those things ---- the ones that get set aside for a while. Right now, I'm looking at a HUGE stack of primitive stitcheries that I did on vintage linens. I really would like to somehow incorporate a bunch of them into a quilt. You always inspire me when I stop by here!!!! Your work is sooooo beautiful!

peggy said...

I especially like that last flower, and I would love a post about dealing with stubborn stained spots on old linens. Usually I just live with them as part of the beauty of old things. Thanks.

Deepa said...

Beautiful!!

GardenOfDaisies said...

This is so beautiful. Everything you make is lovely! I like the cross stitched chicken in the next post too.

Tink's Tinkerings said...

Lovely, I enjoy just looking at them. :) Tink