I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Saturday, January 10, 2009

An Easier Way To Trace A Transfer

Whenever I am fortunate enough to have vintage transfers and a nice piece of fabric, I don't want to take risks of ruining the fabric or the transfer by using a hot iron. So I hand trace my transfers on.
I am sure most of you are already familiar with taping the transfer onto a sunny window,

and then standing and tracing it onto the fabric. For me, this works well, however, I do a lot of my work at night.....no sunny window to trace from, plus with the load of work I do, this technique is hard on my arms and shoulders. So I found a much better way......

I have a beautiful antique wood table. It has served many purposes,.... to feed family on, to serve as my kitchen island, now that I have a dining room table..... and it is wonderful to trace my designs on. If you have any table that splits into to add another leaf.... it will work fine.

I use the frame and clear glass of an 11x14 picture frame as my "window".

A small desk reading lamp with a bendable neck is also important.

Pull the table apart, just wide enough to support the picture frame. Lay the picture frame over the space of the open table. Tape the picture frame in place.

Turn the neck of the lamp upside down to where the lamp is shining up. Place the lamp underneath the table, right under the picture frame.
Tape the transfer in place on the glass of the frame, position the light to shine up through the transfer.

Place fabric over transfer and trace your image.
It turns out well, and if you like, you can also sit and trace the design instead of standing over it.

I hope this might be an easier method for all of you who trace your transfers. It really helped me to get my work done at night. Hopefully I will now have this stitched to show at a later post. Have a blessed weekend!












14 comments:

LindaSue said...

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention and clever adapting! What a neat idea.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Well, aren't you smart! I never thought of doing that. But I will! :)

Hugs and kisses,
Elaine

Linda said...

Kathleen, this is a wonderful idea. I especially like the idea of being able to sit down while tracing your projet..much easier on the back and legs. You are too clever..hugs, Linda

Bee Haven Bev said...

Great idea Kathleen...I will keep that idea in my memory file for later use!!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Great ideal Kathleen !

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing your finished project.

Anonymous said...

great idea...I've been looking for an old fashioned transfer pencil but can't seem to find one...the kind where you pencil over your tranfer and then iron it on the material...this idea might be my next best option, thanks!

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing. What a clever technique! I came to your blog from Mildred's.

Paula said...

How smart!! I think that would be a much more comfortable way of tracing!
Hmmm...You could patent that idea....

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Well isn't that just so clever! Now I'll just have to buy a new table. LOL

Smiles,
Lea

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

How clever is this? :0) Great way to make your very own light table!

Stephanie
Queen of Dreamsz

~~Deby said...

Thank you for all of these hints

Deby

Terri said...

I'm just starting out with Embroidery and I've been looking everywhere for a transfer pen or a way to transfer...after reading your post I sit with my head hung low and asking myself "Why didn't I think of that?" lol Thanks so much for the idea, I will definetly give it a try.

Nina said...

what kind of a transfer pen are you using?


also you get small light boxes to use too;)