I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Cathedral

We have 13 acres of land
and most of it looks like this. To some it might look like an overgrown mess, to me, it is a canvas waiting to be worked on. When we first moved in, I wanted to fix a special place in the middle of these woods to stop and rest awhile, with paths and trails that twist and turn.

So I worked on it through out the years and am still working on it. This is the path that leads to my special place.

I like to come here early in the morning hours. It is a quiet place and surrounded with nature. The song, My Cathedral, by Jim Reeves, always comes to mind when I am working or just enjoying this place. ..... My cathedral has a ceiling of blue, my cathedral neath the sky. Where I lift up my eyes unto the hills and hear music from a stream rippling by....

My cathedral has an alter of flowers, their fragrant incense fills the air

In my cathedral, I am closer to Him than I could be anywhere.

For here I pray, in a place so grand, the carpet I kneel on was made by His own hand..

My cathedral has candles lighted by the stars and mighty pillars of trees,
No other cathedral is as beautiful, for God made my cathedral for me.....
I still have so much to do and plant here. It is a labor of love. I often tell friends and family, it is my one hundred year project. I will be working on it until I am 100. {: Now tell me, do you have a special place you like to go to? Is it on your property, or perhaps a neighborhood park? I would love to hear!



13 comments:

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sweet Kathleen!

I love your special place where you ponder and prayer. How wonderful to have such a beautiful place to go, on your very own land.

My special place is at the beach or a tiny airport. I love to watch the waves come & go and the same with tiny planes. I guess the airport has to do with my son being a pilot. He learned how to fly at a tiny airport!

Anyhoo, have a wonderful weekend and love looking at your handiwork!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Katy said...

What a beautiful place you have! I, too, see the potential in things and I think you have a wonderful area there!!! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

Conni said...

Your special place is beautiful! I, too, have a natural "cathedral" in my backyard. It's a small clearing in between a circle of tall pitch pines. If I look up, the tops of the pines converge.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

What a special place! I love walking through the woods, finding the wild flowers, listening to the birds, etc. Nothing rests the soul more than the quiet solitute of those cathedral places! Thanks for taking us to yours!!!!

Cora

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Kathleen,
What a beautiful blog. When I saw your first picture, it didn't look like a mess to me at all. I LOVE the natural look mixed in with a little TLC like you're doing.

I'm only on about 1/2 acre, but there's a little spot in my back yard that's all wild trees. I recently made a little path around it to get from my hubby's BBQ patio to what will one day be my secret garden. It's mostly still in my mind, but the path to get there is done. I'll post a picture of it someday soon and invite you over to see it.
Blessings,
Patricia :o)

Shelley said...

Beautiful post. Your land looks lovely to me. I also live in West Texas and love embroidery.

Have a wonderful day!

Linda said...

You have a most wonderful special place. This is such a beautiful nature area.... a place to nourish your soul and count the blessings in your life. Hugs, Linda

Pam said...

What a lovely place, Kathleen.

I do have a special place; I recently re-discovered it after many years. It is just up the hill from our home, behind the old orchard that Daddy planted many years ago. You cannot see any other house or hear anything but crickets and birds. I used to love going there, but stopped going there after Daddy died. This summer I went there just on a whim and was filled with a sense of peace. It is beautiful, and brought back so many memories of Daddy and why he loved this place so...a love that he passed on to me.
Blessings,
Pam

Paula said...

This was a wonderful post Kathleen- so beautifully written! I am so glad we really can see and be with God ANYWHERE!
Once again you've made me all misty! (Thanks a lot! LOL)

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Blessings to you all, I just love your comments! Have a good weekend! Kathleen

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I love your special cathedral, Kathleen. I have the same project continuing here on our acreage. Together, my husband & I have made paths. I have great hopes this fall to make some natural benches from all the downed wood here so we can sit along the path and go to read or pray or just be quiet.

Blessings,
Lea

Gina E. said...

Hi Kathleen,
Thank you for leaving a comment about the vintage plane apron on my Aprons blog. Unfortunately the person who sold it to me has no idea where it came from. She buys most of her stuff from auction houses, so there is no way of tracking the origins of one item.
Had a peep at your blog - lucky you having 13 acres of land! It's my hubby's dream to have acreage some day, but as he is already 65, I doubt if we'll ever get there!

Jane Smith said...

My favorite place is at the deer lease. I especially like spring turkey season because I sit in a cluster of trees. Sometimes, I have deer coming up to about 25 yards away from me.

Birds fly by & land in the trees, just a few feet from me, & sometimes I get to watch humming birds that seem to be nesting in that set of trees.

There's also a stock tank close, so I get to watch ducks.