I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The treasures inside!

Once again, thank you all for your sweet comments! I so enjoy hearing from all of you! Here it is! The pictures of the treasures inside the little sewing basket and other sewing boxes! Some of the pictures came out blurry and I am sorry about that.{:


The little basket was stuffed full. The bottom layer is what you can see on your left hand side on the table. The top tray is inside the basket.

Also, Margaret gave me this sewing box and bag, which was filled with zippers, packages of rick rack and other spools of thread.

This is blurry but it is a needle package from a life insurance company. My, how times have changed!

Here is the inside of the needle package and yes, there were still unused needles inside the little black strip with the label.

So blurry you probably can't read it. The three needles were priced at 25 cents. The Hiawatha metallic thread had the price of 29 cents!

Here are wooden spools found throughout the little basket, sewing box, and sewing bag! A real treasure!

Here is some of the things from the basket separated and ready to be placed in the right containers. I got 5 pair of really good scissors, and the little pin cushions, I have always loved. Also 5 thimbles to add to my thimble collection.
Here are buttons, pins and needles also found in the little basket. All in all, I was thrilled with the bounty I carried home. All of the things will be used, gratefully, thank you Margaret.{: And thank you all again for dropping by!




6 comments:

Katie said...

I am mopping my chin from the drooling. I have a strong attachment for such old things. Guess I better go look at my grandma's old sewing things. Doesn't it make you think about the women who had these?

LindaSue said...

How very FUN! you got a variety of useful items and some that are just plain hard to find. Somehow it seems the older needles are sharper or last better - I have some in my sewing kit from when I first was out on my own - and they are still the best ones.

Pam said...

What fun! That sewing basket was a treasure trove.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh Kathleen, I love all those treasures but that bowl of old thread spools is simply gorgeous. I think I'll go fill a bowl with some too. You are always inspiring me to new and wonderful pleasures!

Smiles,
Lea

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Wow, what a find! It is almost like a bottomless treasure box of beautiful trinkets.
Patricia :o)

Bobby La said...

it's better than lollies or chocolate! what a lovely basket. i remember having one as a child and it was a delight. lucky you! (now, it'd be way too small to be useful)