I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Old becoming new again




I'm sure you have all noticed how older things we once knew from decades ago, have a way of showing up and being the latest new trend? I love dolls, especially Horseman dolls. The rubber bodied, no movable arms or legs, and with plastic sculpted hair. I also love making doll clothes. I have a box of unclothed Horseman baby dolls waiting for a wardrobe.( Another tucked away dream of someday fixing a wardrobe, plus a carrying case to sell with the doll. ) Last year, I was delighted to find in the pattern section, Simplicity pattern company has reproduced their baby doll clothes patterns. On the front of the envelope it says Simplicity archives and I think this is a pattern from around the 1960's. This pattern number is 4707 and has 3 sizes for the patterns. I had put this away, to use at a later date, but thought about it the other day after a visit with my friend Bell. I have mentioned Bell in earlier posts. She is 91 and along with her late husband, has spent years traveling to flea markets, stocking up her shop with wonderful antique finds. She still lives at home, can only get around with the help of her motorized chair, and still has a love for antiques and flowers. While visiting with her, I went on my usual round looking at her treasures. Lying on a pile of old dust covered magazines was this poor little doll waiting to be rescued. So here she is in need of a good scrubbing and a decent wardrobe. She is an Alexander doll, yet I am still not sure how old she is. So..... as soon as I get that tablecloth done....... well, I'm sure you all know how this story goes. {:

5 comments:

LindaSue said...

We could call her your "roundtoit" doll! I love the old patterns for clothes - just like old cookbooks!

Paula said...

I would so love to meet Bell, Kathleen. I'm sure she's full of wonderful stories, isn't she? I never played with dolls much growing up (I was too big a tomboy) but I always had little stuffed animals and my mother would make me outfits for them... my bears and doggies always went in style! LOL
I love your new header! I just now noticed it! It's so ...you!

Linda said...

Bell sounds like a very sweet lady....who would be fun to sit and chat with. Precious doll and a fun future project. Linda

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Yes, Bell is a sweet lady. Her husband was quite a character also. He was friendly and had a good sense of humor. Before he passed away, he and Bell would stop by and visit and show us their latest finds from the flea markets they had just been to. I purchased our kitchen table from them and I use it to make all of my bread and pies on. I always think of them while I am working at it. Blessings, Kathleen

Farmhouse Blessings said...

How precious Bell's friendship must be to you! I have a friend like that. She is such a dear and has enriched my life more than she'll ever know.

Blessings,
Lea