I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Monday, February 4, 2008

Have you ever wondered?




While traveling back and forth, I always notice old houses and if I am not in a big hurry, I always pull over and take a picture. I love these old reminders of how life used to be. I always wonder who lived there, how many children were born and raised there and what were their prayers about. I always wonder what happened to whoever lived there. This one particular house pictured above is on the way to my childrens school. I inquired about it, and was told that no one would mind if I walked down to take a picture. If you notice the other pictures below, I had some very friendly company. I was not paying attention, oohing and awing over the house, when I heard loud stomping behind me and found these friendly horses right behind my shoulder. Of course, I can't resist horses, and spent some time petting them. I did not go into the house, for several reasons, but would have loved to take a peek inside. These houses remind me so much of my grandparents who lived out in the country in an old rambling house. They were together 62 years and raised 13 children, through some of the worst times, including the depression. Their house no longer stands, long ago pushed down to make room for a cotton field. But I always think back on them and the visits I loved as a child to their home. That is why I so love where I live now. If grandma and grandpa were here, we would all be on the porch, watching the susnset together.

9 comments:

KaKi said...

My grandmother lived in Chillicothe, TX. When we would visit, we would drive out in the country and visit all the old houses she had lived in. I always loved it so much! I wish I had photos. We would wander through some of them and find old jars or other odds and ends. I, too, love to think about what their life was like and how they lived. Thanks for taking me back to good memories today!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Kaki, hope this finds you feeling well. Yes, we used to go through old houses also when I was a child.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and pictures. My husband and I long to save old houses like some people save abandoned animals. All that history!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Vintagecate, so glad you stopped by! Come back and visit soon! blessings, Kathleen

Katy said...

I love old houses....gosh..if that were fixed up a bit and the weeds mowed down...how gorgeous it would be!!

Paula said...

Kathleen- I just found your blog quite by accident (I'm still new at this, so sometimes I don't know what blog I'm on or how I wound up there!) Your blog is FASCINATING! My Mother used to do hand embroidery when I was small and I would watch her work on one small thing for hours at a time! I would love to try my hand at it, too, but with gardening season coming on quickly, I may have to wait a while. Your photos are beautiful... where I live they're are many old abandoned houses and barns (I just love old barn, too...they have so much character.) Please keep posting the photos of your work- I love to look! God Bless!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Farmchic, so glad you dropped by and thank you for your sweet comments. I just love your blogspot also! Come back to visit, blessings, Kathleen

LindaSue said...

How beautiful your embroidery is! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. My family is in the Midland Odessa area and I lived out there for 16 years so well acquainted with those abandoned old buildings - I wonder about the families, dreams and work that went into those places.